Twice-baked potatoes

Leigh, you asked how I made the double-baked potatoes we had for Kilby's wedding. I don't have an exact recipe but here is what I did.

Bake potatoes at high temp until soft inside, and crunchy outside.

As SOON as they are cool enough to hold, cut them in half and scoop out the insides, begin careful not to get too close to the skin. If you let them cool too long the steam of the potato will soften your skin so it is hard to scoop. Arrange potato shells on cookie sheet or baking pan.

To the scooped potato stuff I added a stick of butter, about a cup or two of sour cream (remember I made about 12--that is 24 halves--potatoes! What you want to effect is some nice mashed potatoes...), maybe a cup of mayo, and a cup or two of shredded cheddar cheese, fresh ground pepper and salt to taste. You COULD add onion or parsley or bacon bits if you like. Mash this all together, adding milk if you need it to be a little creamier. Don't overmash or it gets starchy-sticky.

Spoon your potato mix into a large ziplock bag and cut the tip off one corner. Squeeze the mix into each potato shell. Top with a little more cheese and/or paprika. Bake about a half hour at 350 or until hot through.

Good luck. They're never the same way twice!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Debby - I have a cousin named BilliJean that cooks like this. Only difference is that she starts out saying "Good Luck" and hers are always the "same" - they are fantastic, but can never be duplicated by anyone else. She'll write down the recipe with all of her variables but won’t explain and may not know why she does what she does to get the results she gets. I'm going to give this to her. She will love it. Peter Curtiss

podso said...

One of our favorites that my mother often made. Over the years I've learned to boil some water in a large pot and pour most of it out, leaving just a little in the bottom. This is where I put the potato I scoop out of the skins. Mashing it all in a hot pot works so much better than trying to mash cooling potatoes in cool bowl or pan I have found. I also add garlic.
Just adding to the mix ...fyi.