Kilby's Breakfast Lentils

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Kilby wrote:

So it's been super cold and I feel like I can't get warm, especially when breakfast is usually cereal, or if I want something more, a smoothie. I decided last night that this morning I would make a hot breakfast, but not something boring like eggs or oatmeal. It turned out one of the lowest calorie, highest fiber and protein breakfasts ever, and sooooooo yummy. I think it'll probably last me till a late lunch because it's so filling with stuff that burns for a long time.

1/2 c lentils
1 c water
pinch cumin
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t cardamom
dash salt
2 T honey
plain nonfat yogurt to top (optional)

I cooked the lentils with the spices (no salt) till they were tender by boiling for a couple minutes and then simmering on low, covered, for about half an hour. Most of the water was absorbed or evaporated by then. Afterwards I added salt to taste (I learned that salting lentils before they're fully cooked turns them tough) and then honey to taste. Then I topped it with a few spoonfuls of yogurt and mixed it all up. It was crazy good!

Susan and Leigh, lentils are not only high in protein and fiber, but super high in iron, and cheap! And this is a fun way to eat them, not your usual heavy, savory, rice-accompanied dish.

Okay bye!

1 comment:

SomeOne said...

I would never consider properly prepared eggs boring, but maybe after I try this I will.