Aunt Anna's Swedish Limpa Bread

Makes 3 loaves

1 pint lukewarm water
3 cups rye flour (or less)
2 pkgs yeast (4.5 tsps)
1 t salt

Make a soft sponge. Let stand till it rises.

Add
1 c brown sugar
1 T anise seed
zest from one orange
1-2 T shortening

Add enough white flour (5-6 cups) to make stiff dough.

Let rise.
Punch down and rise again.
Shape into three loaves and place in greased loaf pans (if loaf pans are desired; we always got limpa bread in round loaves from the Swedish bakery around Christmas time). Let rise and bake at 350 for 20 minutes and 300 for another 20 minutes. (Note says that writer baked it at 375 for 40 minutes. Also says not to overknead or overbake, so I'm trying the lesser temps.)
Brush baked loaves with a mixture of Karo syrup and water for shiny finish.

See the photos for other tips:



Asked my sister Marcia for this recipe this morning, little remembering that she had the one in my mom's handwriting, passed on from her sister, of their aunt's recipe. I remember Great-Aunt Anna as a tall, stern, respected nurse. I'm thanking God for this recipe! Merry Christmas, everyone!

1 comment:

Compleat Mom said...

I think I may try this https://www.thespruceeats.com/swedish-limpa-bread-2952664 as more interesting with a fennel and the caraway and the molasses