White House Crackers


First experienced these amazing crackers at the White House when my sister, working there for Mr. Meese's office, and whom I was visiting, brought me a bowl of soup with these crackers from the White House Mess for lunch. They are amazing. And a little tricky to make. The recipe reproduced here is from my memory.

Brush a cookie sheet generously with butter. Butter, not margarine.
Prepare an ice bath of water and ice-cubes.
Plunge a half dozen Saltine crackers into the cold water for 30 seconds and remove, letting the water drip off of them.
Treat these soggy things gingerly so they don't fall apart.
Place crackers on cookie sheet, gently and quickly, and return to dunk more crackers, repeating the process until the cookie sheet is filled.
Gently brush tops with more butter.
Bake at 325 for over a half hour or until dried out and golden brown.

I am not sure I have either bake time or temp correct. I'll hope to edit this post when I try them again. You're welcome to change it if you have access to this blog (that would be you, daughties all), or post a comment.

Enjoy!

No comments: