Debby,
I am glad you liked the quiche-here is the recipe. I believe you could substitute 1/2 and 1/2 for the heavy cream and I have also used evaporated milk before, as well. The texture is a bit different, but a lot less fattening. I adapted the one I made for you, using diced ham and a bit of sauteed broccoli. Usually, I pour the egg mixture over the cheese and other fillings because there is too much to use and it overflows. Make sure you bake it on a cookie sheet lined with foil.
Kimberly
pastry for 1 crust pie crust (I used a frozen deep dish crust)
1 T. butter
12 bacon slices
4 eggs
2 c. heavy or whipping cream
3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 lb. natural Swiss cheese, shredded (Gruyere is yummy if you have it and cheddar works well with sausage. I also like to make it with leeks, shallots, mushrooms, colored bell peppers and asparagus. The veggies turn out better when I saute or even brown then a bit in butter, cool, then use.)
Prepare and roll out pastry; line one 9 inch pie plate. Spread crust evenly with softened butter, chill well.
In 10 inch skillet over medium heat, fry bacon slices until crisp and brown.
Drain bacon on paper towels and crumble. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Spread crumbled bacon pieces in prepared pie crust.
With wire whisk, beat eggs, cream, salt and nutmeg. Stir in cheese. (you can also layer it on top of whatever meat/veggies you use, then pour the liquid ingredients over those.)
Pour egg mixture into crust. Bake 15 minutes, turn oven control to 325 degrees, bake 35 minutes.
Quiche is cooked when knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. (or cool on counter, then put in refrigerator or freezer for use later)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment