White Cheddar Macaroni with Bacon and Thyme

This is what I invented one night when I wanted mac'n'cheese, but was feeling creative. It was pretty much amazing. And everyone who's tasted it since agrees.

Ingredients:
1 lb. mezze penne pasta
1 lb. thick sliced bacon
1/4 c. reserved bacon grease
1/4 c. butter
1 small onion, chopped
1/3 c. flour
4 c. milk
1 tsp. whole dried thyme
3 c. extra sharp white cheddar cheese (+ extra for topping)
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese (+ extra for dusting)
fresh cracked pepper and sea salt to taste

Boil pasta, drain, and set aside. Cut bacon strips into 1/2 inch pieces, and cook on medium-high heat in a large skillet. Drain and set aside, reserving 1/4 cup of the grease. In a medium sized sauce pan melt butter and bacon grease over high heat until sizzling, add onion and saute until tender. Slowly add flour, whisking rapidly until a thick roux forms. Reduce heat to medium and slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Add pepper, salt, and thyme and stir white sauce until thickened. Stir in cheddar and parmesan until smooth. Remove from heat. Grease a 9"x13" baking dish and dust with remaining parmesan cheese. Combine white sauce with penne, then gently mix in the cooked bacon pieces. Pour mixture into baking dish and top with remaining cheddar cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove foil and broil for 5 more minutes to crisp up the cheese on top.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Made this for the second time last night but with mild cheddar instead of white cuz that's all I had. I also had to use mostly evaporated milk because I hadn't realized I was almost out of milk. But it was still really good. I served it with long stalks of steamed broccoli and fried spiced apples.

Gwen said...

Susan made this and I got to try the leftovers while I was visiting them. I am definitely making this tonight!