Scottish Scones

We spent nine months in Scotland and picked up a number of good scone recipes. Here's a basic.

2 c flour
2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 T sugar
1/3 c butter
1/2 c buttermilk
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Sift or whisk together dry ingredients.
Cut in butter (I push a cold stick of butter through a hand-held veggie shredder, tossing the flour as butter loads into flour mixture. If I had a pastry cutter I could do a similar thing. The deal is that you don't want the butter TOO mixed into things if you want a flaky pastry.)
Stir in buttermilk and egg, just until mixed.
Fold several times, using a little extra flour for easy handling.
Divide dough in half
Pat each half into a 6" circle.
Paint lightly with a few drops of milk and sprinkle with a bit of sugar, optional
Cut each half into 6-8 pieces and place on lightly greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 425 degrees (preheated) for 12-15 minutes.

No comments: