Roasted Eggplant, Tomatoes, Garlic & Pasta

Sitting captive to daytime tv in the doctor's waiting room this morning I was intrigued with a Rachel Ray recipe that I wanted to come home and try. But I was sure all the nightshade veggies (eggplant and tomatoes) would have made both Cal and me ache. So I'll post it here, hope that my daughties enjoy it, and try it on company sometime.

Roast an eggplant
Roast garlic

Roast/dry out a cookie sheet full of sliced open cherry tomatoes (about 1-1/2 hours, she suggested; on what? 325?)Chop roughly just before serving.

Process in food processor the eggplant, a handful of flat leaf parsley, a large can of tomatoes, a clove or two of the roasted garlic, a fresh pepper or red pepper flakes, extra-virgin olive oil (it looked like a good splash), salt & pepper to taste. Simmer this down to a reduction. Just before tossing it with your pasta you will add back a cup of starchy pasta water, so that gives you an idea about how far down to reduce the sauce.

Separately wash and chop both fresh sweet basil and a handful of spicy argulak, drizzling over it olive oil and juice of one lemon and a little salt. Set aside to use as topping after pasta is mixed.

Boil your pasta, transfer one cup of starchy water to the sauce and stir well, maybe turning up the heat a little. Then toss the sauce and pasta together. Add the cherry tomatoes which adds a nice texture and flavor to the whole dish. Top with shredded ricotta salata (the relatively dry, slice-able ricotta). Top with lemon dressed greens and serve. I hear it smells fantastic.

No comments: